BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Need Editing? Free Manuscript Editing for a Limited Time!

While I keep writing, I need a steady paycheck. I have decided to pursue editing to provide that paycheck. All wanna-be editors probably have a similar story to mine: I grew up correcting the handouts my teachers gave me. I even handed the corrected versions back to them. When I graduated from high school, I got my creative writing teacher a spelling dictionary since I wouldn't be there to edit for him.

What little information I can find on becoming an editor says this isn't enough. They suggest I need to start working for a publisher and learn all about the publishing business. Well, there has to be more ways to become an editor than that. There are no criteria or standards to follow like if I wanted to become a doctor or a lawyer. I don't need a degree. I can refresh my memory on all the rules of grammar and proofreading by taking a simple course.

I have a zero chance of getting a job in publishing at this point in my life. I'm 46. I have a slew of children, the youngest of which is almost 3. It's hard enough to start over yet again without having to compete with 24 year olds for low paying jobs.

So, I'm paving my own way. I will take the course from The Graduate School (part of the Dept. of Agriculture) on editing. I will offer my services for free at first to gather manuscripts for my resume. I'm already doing that. I will focus on working with authors who want to self-publish at first or even exclusively if I have to. I can do this. I will do this. My family needs me and I will rise to the challenge.

If anyone reads this who is a writer that needs some editing, respond in the comments. I am still doing free editing for the next few authors. This can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have me look at your manuscript for free. This is a limited time offer. I'll help you with your manuscript if you help me add to my resume and give me a quote I can use for my website. Do we have a deal?

0 comments: