BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Writing Update

In the past week I have written a rough draft of chapter one. I have sent it off to someone to critique and have received it back. It's not bad... but it needs work. No surprise. A rough draft is just that... rough. I need to have at least 3 chapters written and polished before I begin sending query letters. In exchange for the critique, I am reading and critiquing the chapters of the writer who so kindly took a look at mine. Wow. That sentence was awkard. :P Anyway, that is on my to do list for tonight.

I have also started writing my first query letter. I have a decent start. Once I am finished I will post it for critique on one of the writing sites I visit freqently. The writers there really have a knack for tightening up these things. :)

Meanwhile, on the article front, I wrote a rough draft of an article about cesareans. It is already about 1700 words. It may turn out to be more feature length. I spoke with an obstetrician who answered some of the questions I had. Now I need to add that whole section to the article. I am thinking this may end up over 2000 words unless I manage to tighten it up considerably.

I've been learning more about agents. I've read lots of blog posts suggesting that all writers need a Facebook fan page. We'll see... oh yeah... on top of all that I am still doing my day job, managing the family and dealing with the usual medical crises that have been occurring of late.

I must get this going and start making a better living from my writing. It is possible that I will end up as the sole provider for the family and I've got to get this groundwork done quickly.

If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears. :)

0 comments: